- The Guardian Culture
- The Guardian » Stage | Theatre comedy and dance
- Dance Tutorials | Reddit
- Dance Advantage
- The Wonderful World of Dance
- C & C Ballroom Dance
- Reddit Dance Sport
I have yet to update the side bar as of the time of this post, but wanted to announce that users can now post videos or gifs to help identify a dance, even asking pertinent questions about said dance.
These post must be readily identifiable so users only looking for tutorials can avoid them. To help with this, I made a new post flair "Dance Inquiry". Please use it when posting an ID post.
I am linking this post to users who had an inquiry removed in the past; I want to note if that is you, that you should repost your inquiry so that it is new. Approving an old post will be buried.submitted by /u/gamophyte [link] [comments]
Post your resource below in the comments, but see this note:
Resources/Event/Other should be useful to dancers, do not simply promote your website or solicit to this subreddit. The resource should be free, but notification of discounts on equipment is allowed as well.
Example: A link and info to a free class, even if your own, you are still offering something to others. If you are unsure where your resource falls on this line, feel free to message the mods first.
r/DanceTutorials may remove comments deemed inappropriate without warning.
WARNING: Resources offered and reported to us via comment here are not vetted for legitimacy or safety by r/DanceTutorials mods. They are not endorsed by r/DanceTutorials mods. Use any website or resource at your own risk.
Last thread here. Thanks!submitted by /u/gamophyte [link] [comments]
There’s nothing like experiencing a live dance performance to put the spring back in our steps. And what could be better than the Northern Ballet’s production of Dangerous Liaisons performed at Sadler’s Wells to arouse the senses? A tale of lust, deception and manipulation set in 18th century France, it follows the malicious deeds of…
Oh to be back at the ballet! Even with masks and social distanced seating, it was pure bliss to be back at Sadler’s Wells Theatre in London. We’ve all waited so so long for the return of live dance and English National Ballet‘s Reunion programme was curated to bring us joy, touch our hearts, mesmerise,…
The post Ballet is back! English National Ballet’s Reunion takes to the stage appeared first on The Wonderful World of Dance Magazine.
On Thursday, May 6, the Festival de Jerez, one of the world’s foremost flamenco and Spanish dance festivals, launched its 25th edition with the world premiere of dancer Eva Yerbabuena’s production Al igual que tú [The Same as You]. Normally in early May, Jerez would be vibrating with the music and dance coming from…
The post Flamenco Live Streamed from Spain’s 25th Festival de Jerez appeared first on The Wonderful World of Dance Magazine.
Ballerina and choreographer Irina Lerman created her new dance film Exiled Hope in response to the covid pandemic. Currently a lead soloist with Atlantic Ballet of Canada, Irina is originally from Russia where she graduated from the Vaganova Ballet Academy, before working for seven years at the Mariinsky Ballet with renowned ballet coach Irina Chistyakova…
The post Exiled Hope – new dance film from ballerina & choreographer Irina Lerman appeared first on The Wonderful World of Dance Magazine.
The Joffrey Ballet has launched the Joffrey Studio Series, a comprehensive roster of virtual programming — from livestream performances and company rehearsals to pre-recorded conversations — curated by Joffrey artists during the COVID-19 era. Highlights include the world premiere of Bolero, a new 30-minute work by Joffrey Artist Yoshihisa Arai, performed and streamed live from the Joffrey’s Gerald…
The post Joffrey Ballet’s New Virtual Season – Joffrey Studio Series appeared first on The Wonderful World of Dance Magazine.
We absolutely loved Ron’s lesson on Tango last night and we’re even more excited for the Swing this evening. Make sure you come to his master class this evening! Need another reason to come to his class tonight? He’s a 7 Time Champion Rhythm dancer- so if anyone knows how to Swing it’s him!
Friday the 14th is our 80’s themed dress up & Potluck party. Prizes will be awarded to the best costumes of the night! We’ve already been told about a few good ones so you better get started now. See if you can beat these two metal-heads!
We’ve decided to mix it up a bit! This weekend the 281 studio will be closed. We’re going to move our classes to the IH-10 Studio. If you haven’t been there this is a great way to get to see it without dealing with traffic! If you live near the I10 studio this is a […]
The post Field Trip! This Saturdays group classes will be at the IH-10 Studio! appeared first on C & C Ballroom Dance.
Come one and come all to celebrate the Holiday season with C&C Ballroom Dance! We have 7:15 Cha Cha Classes, followed by 8:00 Bolero classes, and the party will start at 9. We cannot wait to try all of the great food that everyone will be bringing! From snacks, sweats, main courses, we are excited […]
The post Tonight is the Holiday Potluck & Ugly Sweater Party! appeared first on C & C Ballroom Dance.
Since r/DanceSport is all about competitive ballroom dancing, it stands to reason flair should reflect that. As such, today there is a new flair system being introduced with seven different icons: a bronze medal, a silver medal, a gold medal, a bronze trophy, a silver trophy, a gold trophy, and the tag PRO. You can view these icons here.
When you get your flair, it will appear to the right of your username within this subreddit only. This flair will serve to show the r/DanceSport community what level dancer you are. In order to be granted flair, you must have fulfilled the following requirements:
• have placed in the top 50% of 9 or more couples in an event restricted to the Associate/Bronze Syllabus level, or a level deemed equivalent but with lax Syllabus restrictions
Examples: WDSF E-Class, (Australia) Recreational Beginner, (Austria) D-Class, (France) Débutant, (Netherlands) Debutant 3, (Singapore) PreBeginner, (USA) Bronze
• OR have passed an ISTD Bronze Medal exam
• OR have been certified in Associate/Bronze Latin, Standard, Rhythm, or Smooth by a respectable organization
• have placed in the top 50% of 9 or more couples in an event restricted to the Licentiate/Silver Syllabus level, or a level deemed equivalent but with lax Syllabus restrictions
Examples: WDSF D-Class, (Australia) Recreational Intermediate, (France) Espoire, (Netherlands) Debutant 1 or 2, (USA) Silver
• OR have passed an ISTD Silver Medal exam
• OR have been certified in Licentiate/Silver Latin, Standard, Rhythm, or Smooth by a respectable organization
• have placed in the top 50% of 9 or more couples in an event restricted to the full Syllabus
Examples: WDSF C-Class, (Australia) Recreational Advanced, (Austria) C-Class, (France) Aspirant, (Singapore) Beginner, (USA) Gold
• OR have passed an ISTD Gold Medal exam
• OR have been certified in Fellowship/Gold Latin, Standard, Rhythm, or Smooth by a respectable organization
Bronze Trophy • have placed in the top 50% of 9 or more couples in an event at the third highest Amateur level without any syllabus restrictions
Examples: WDSF B-Class, (Australia) Amateur C-Grade, (Singapore) Pre-Amateur, (USA) Novice
• have placed in the top 50% of 9 or more couples in an event at the second highest Amateur level without any syllabus restrictions
Examples: WDSF A-Class, (Australia) Amateur B-Grade, (Singapore) Amateur Rising Star, (USA) Pre-Champ
• have placed in the top 50% of 9 or more couples in an event at the highest Amateur level without any syllabus restrictions
Examples: Open Amateur, WDSF S-Class, (Netherlands) Hoofdklasse, (Australia) Amateur A-Grade, (Singapore) Amateur, (USA) Champ
• have competed in a professional Latin, Standard, Rhythm, or Smooth event
To be assigned your new flair, you must prove you really deserve the flair you're asking for, by showing two things:
1) Prove you dance at the appropriate level for your flair. Send u/Ballroom_Guide a link to the results of a competition where your name can be found, showing you fulfilled the requirements posted above. You may also use DanceSportInfo.net to show your competition results.
2) Prove you are who you say you are. Essentially, you need to show that the reddit account the flair will be assigned to corresponds to the person whose results you just shared. You could prove this in a number of ways. One way is to send u/Ballroom_Guide an ID card (all personal information besides name may be blurred), along with a piece of paper with your reddit username written on it.
If you can prove these two things, you'll be granted flair!
EDIT 22/6/2019: Couples who tie will be rounded down, which is to say if there are six couples and the middle two tie, their placements will be 1-2-4-4-5-6.
My flair isn't working. What's wrong?
Go to this subreddit's homepage. In the right hand column, under the subscribe/unsubscribe button, there is a checkbox next to the text "Show my flair on this subreddit." Make sure that box is checked if you want to display your flair.
How can I turn my flair off?
Go to this subreddit's homepage. In the right hand column, under the subscribe/unsubscribe button, there is a checkbox next to the text "Show my flair on this subreddit." Uncheck that box and your flair will no longer be displayed.
Will you share my information with anybody, or create a NSA database of dancers' names and mugshots?
No. All the pictures you send will be deleted within 24 hours of you receiving your flair, and nobody else will see any of it.
I don't want you to verify my identity. Can I just have the flair?
No. Hopefully this will show the flair is trustworthy.
How long does it take to get my new flair?
It will usually be updated within 24 hours, but since it's only u/Ballroom_Guide holding down the fort, it may take a few days, especially around the holidays.
I have moved up a level. Can I have new flair?
Yes! No need to prove your identity again - just provide a link to a website showing you fulfilled the requirements of a higher level of flair, and you're flair will be updated!
In my country, there is a Syllabus level below Bronze (such as Newcomer or PreBronze). What flair corresponds to that level?
Competitors at this level are not yet eligible for flair.
In my country, there are only two Syllabus levels that don't match up exactly with the level distinctions the Syllabus makes (for example, the full Syllabus is allowed at both levels). What flair corresponds to each level?
In this case, the lower of the two levels will correspond to a Bronze medal, and the higher a Gold medal.
In my country, there is only one Syllabus level. What flair will correspond to that level?
A Gold medal.submitted by /u/Ballroom_Guide [link] [comments]
Hello all! I am on a collegiate ballroom dance team, and I manage all the competitions the team goes to. Recently, a member of our team asked what options there are for black women for hairstyles. Her hair is too short to put in a bun, so I was unsure how to answer this question. As a white woman, I am uneducated on how to answer this question. Can anyone help me?submitted by /u/pavlovdoggo [link] [comments]
Former Pro here. I've noticed recently that there has been an uptick in wedding related music and dance style posts and there will be more coming soon since wedding season is coming up. Here are some things that need to be known first before your special day.
1) Please take into account your gown/ suit/ shoes situations. The last thing you want is to practice a beautiful flowing waltz then realize the day of that you or your partner are wearing a tight fitted mermaid style of gown and slide on 3 inch stilettos. Not ideal for a flowing waltz.
2) Decide what you can live without. Have you always wanted to dance to particular song that you both loved since you first started dating? Great! Then figure out what you both are going to wear after deciding what kind of dance you want to do.
3) Does wearing the gown and veil of your dreams mean more to you than just about anything? That's great too. You don't have to reveal the details to your partner other than letting your partner know how wide you can freely move your feet from side to side and forward and backward. How long is your length of stride?
4) Practice aids: If you chose a restrictive style of gown practice with a theraband tied around your knees that mimic your stride abilities for the day of. It's silly but it helps. If someone is wearing a long dress then wear any type of long skirt to practice in so your partner can get used to not seeing your feet.
5) Dance shoes: if you decide to change into special dance shoes make sure your pant legs and skirt hems are altered appropriately so you don't trip! I can't tell you how many students I have taught forget about this one. Their ceremony shoes were giant then the dance shoes were ultra low profile in comparison and everyone was tripping on their hems.
Hope this helps.
TLDR Don't forget about what you are going to wear. You don't want to have a shitty time dancing 🙂submitted by /u/fliccolo [link] [comments]
No idea if this is the right place to post, but I’m trying to find out, from those who need a lot of grip on their heels (certain types of social dance) if there’s a good brand and model. I had my cobbler install one of his favorites and it was no grippier than the sole! He was going to put on another one but I figured I should check with other dancers first. Opinions? Thanks!submitted by /u/BigBrother700 [link] [comments]
Were you born to hand jive? In the late 50’s clubs got so full the only option for dancing was to hand jive. The movie choreographer really hit the nail on the head when he used the elements from the three tons of joy as they performed the hand jive with Johnny Otis. Have fun[...]
I once heard that villainesses were just princesses left in customer service too long. For miss DeVil it was dog trauma in the new movie Cruella. So, what dance would the princess of fashion industry do? Why, the dog of course! Join Mrs. DeVil doin’ the Dog 60’s line dance today! Cruella DeVil: Cruella was[...]
Miss Fischer made her way through 1920’s jazz clubs fighting crime. In her premiere episode she was caught dancing a Valentino tango, Inspired by 4 horsemen of the apocalypse. Unravel the mystery of the Valentino tango with Miss Fischer today! Phryne a Princess? Did you know Phryne was princess? In the movie Miss Fischer and[...]
The post Miss Fischer’s Mystery of the Valentino Tango How To. first appeared on Adventures In Dance.
Doesn’t spring make you want to kick up your heals? Easter is a time of rebirth and what better way to celebrate easter than with a new line dance? Celebrate Easter this year with the Easter Bonnet line dance how to dance to “In Your Easter Bonnet.” Easter Bonnet Tradition Wearing a spring head covering[...]
Do holidays make you want to dance? St Patrick’s Day is a delightful holiday to dance an Irish Jig. For my St Patrick’s Day dance party, I put together this lovely Leprechaun Irish Jig line dance. Have fun learning this dance. St. Patrick’s Day Everyone’s favorite Irish holiday is St Patrick’s Day. As a youth,[...]